About our Boutique Hotel in The Berkshires
The Williams Inn began as part of the Treadway Inns hotel chain. Treadway Inns was started by L.G. Treadway in 1909 and quickly became a New England hospitality legacy. The Williams Inn was the chain’s flagship hotel. The chain grew and was left to L.G. Treadway’s successor, Richard Treadway. By then The Williams Inn had grown to 75 rooms.
Richard Treadway sold The Williams Inn to his employees in 1964. From there it was acquired by a small New Jersey based chain, Mohawk Inns, in 1971. In 1974, a new 100 room inn was built on property owned by Williams College. The site had been occupied by the Kappa Alpha Fraternity and prior to that, by the home of Harley Proctor, one of the founders of Proctor & Gamble. The Williams Inn moved to the new property, keeping the name, brand and Treadway Inn tradition.
The original Williams Inn building was converted to the first women’s dormitory upon the admission of women to the Williams College student body. It remains a student residence today, known as Dodd House.
In 1979 The Williams Inn was acquired by Carl Faulkner. Carl and his wife, Marilyn Faulkner, owned and operated the Williamstown Inn until their retirement in 2014. The property is now managed by Main Street Hospitality Group, a hotel management group based at The Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge, MA.